Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Turning a $7 Giant Frame Into a Beautiful Chalkboard

I found this framed "Artwork" if you want to call it that at Good will for $7 and I saw it's potential. Something about the frame called to me saying "Amy, please take me home and give me a better life."

Photobucket

YIKES! This needed my help badly!

I cleaned it up a little first with a dry rag, took it apart, and then sprayed 2 coats of white paint on the frame.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When I had opened it up, there was a very stiff cardboard backing that I gave 2 coats of black chalkboard paint.

Photobucket

I was going to leave the frame pure white, but then decided to age it a bit. I first took an ordinary kitchen sponge with the soft sponge on one side and scrubby side on the other and some gold paint.

Photobucket

I put some paint on the soft side of my sponge and smooshed it together so it soaked into the sponge a little bit.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Using my sponge I wiped paint onto my frame, and then wiped it right back off again with a clean part of my sponge, that way not too much gold paint stayed on the frame.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Then I took the scrubby side of my sponge and lightly roughed the frame up a bit.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

When everything dried I just put her back together again and hung her up in her new home in my kitchen, and I think she looks mighty fine if I do say so myself!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

love it! I found a similar "treasure at my great grandma's house - it was a mirror in a frame it looks like she shabby sheeked and I am going to turn it into a corkboard for the girls room... broken aged mirror replaced with corkboard covered in what else but black and pink fabric to post little thoughts on for the girls... maybe a i can be a guest poster on little pink dollhouse :)

HelloKitty said...

OMG that sounds soooo cute!! You could TOTALLY be a guest poster!! Take pics of the process and write out a description and email it over, and I'll post it up and credit you! Yay, I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Absolutely LOVE this!! Your site is great! So I'm so curious now, who was your client that knows me? :) What a small world.

HelloKitty said...

Hey Sarah! Her name is Laura Connell, well was, since she just got married, Laura Guerrero. SO random, and such a small world!

Soiree Design- Creative Parties & Events said...

Love this! You did such a good job! I just stumbled across your blog today and I'm lovin' it! Keep it coming!

Amy @LittlePinkDollhouse said...

Thank you so much!

Hollister said...

AMY THAT is SOOO COOL!!